Wednesday, April 15, 2015

The Multiple Preserve & Park Tour - Part 2

A few weeks ago, I posted part one of the multiple preserve and park tour with the intention of continuing my explorations at additional parks and preserves within the same vicinity of the ones I visited on March 29th. This past Sunday, April 12, I only made it to two different places but there were two locations adjacent to each other at each stop with trails connecting them. Like it was on Saturday for my hike at Evansburg State Park, it was a beautiful day for getting out and exploring. My arms actually got a little bit of sunburn!

My first stop was at the Armentrout and Camp Woods Preserves, both of which are a part of the Wissahickon Valley Watershed Association.

Date of Hike: April 12, 2015
Total Distance: 2.77 Miles
Avg speed: 2.31 MPH
Avg moving speed: 2.42 MPH
Moving Time: 1:08:40
Total Time: 1:11:46
Conditions: Sunny, 68 Degrees
Difficulty: Easy, Moderate

My original intention was to park at the Camp Woods Preserve but I found out when I arrived that where there was supposed to be parking at the end of Mason Drive (approximate address is 501 Mason Drive, Blue Bell, PA 19422), there was a big pile of mulch blocking the entrance to the trails. I also discovered during my hike that there's another entrance to the Armentrout Preserve at the end of Miles Drive just a short distance from there.

Approximate address:
401 Miles Drive
Blue Bell, PA 19422
GPS: 40.154627,-75.2516509

Since I didn't discover this entrance until after I was already hiking, I left the Camps Woods Preserve area and circled around to park at the Armentrout Preserve and started my hike from there instead.

Approximate address:
500 Beale Road
Blue Bell, PA 19422
GPS: 40.1577366,-75.2566966

When you get to 500 Beale Road, you'll see the parking lot for Armentrout Preserve straight ahead, you won't be able to miss it. Trail maps are on the WVWA website and like I mentioned in my previous post on the multiple park/preserve tour, your best bet is to go full screen and take a screenshot to print it if you want to take one with you.


The Armentrout Preserve, which I would assume was named after Virginia Armentrout, owned the land previous to the WVWA and Whitpain Township acquiring it around 1997.
 

Its not often I'm able to get a decent picture of any wildlife since they usually notice me before I notice them and are gone in a flash. I was standing right next to my car when I took this shot and I'm glad my zoom lens was able to capture the moment. 


I started off heading northeast from the parking lot. In this area is a good mix of meadows slowly returning to woodlands (scrub-brush). 



Although I wanted to investigate, this building was to the right side of the trail and there was another that looked to be covered by trees and brush not too far from this one. I decided not to and kept moving. 


Gradually, you make your way into woodlands as well as some varied terrain. Of all the preserves I've visited so far, this was the best one I've been to as far as having a good variety of hills, open fields, and woodlands to explore. What you'll also find is that the trail map on the WVWA website shows trails that look to run in a straight line through the preserves. I was happy to discover these trails are anything but straight which made it much more enjoyable. 



This is one of the very few stream crossings within the preserve. I don't recall seeing any others besides this one and if there are, I didn't cross them.  Somewhere in this area, the trail cuts to the southeast and runs alongside Morris Road.


Looking up a hill I would soon be climbing!



I took one more picture of the bridge after crossing over

Heading up the hill!

As you make your way up the hill alongside Morris Road, you begin to enter the Camp Woods Preserve area. As stated in the picture below, you'll be crossing private property which there are a few places throughout the Camp Woods Preserve where you'll be in someone's back yard or walking alongside private property.



I thought this was interesting. This looks like what used to be a driveway to someone's home or perhaps a road leading to homes at one time. Just before you get to this, there's a road crossing that looks to have been built relatively recently leading back into the preserve or homes that are back there. 



Entering the Camp Woods Preserve

Surprisingly, what I didn't know about this preserve was that a little bit of history surrounds this area. From the WVWA website:

"The Camp Woods Preserve is not only significant for its natural beauty, but also for its history; it earned its name during the Revolutionary War, after the Continental Army encamped nearby following the loss of the Battle of Germantown. Elements of the Revolutionary Army tended their wounded and buried the dead in the vicinity of Camp Woods near Boehm’s Church. Washington and his officers stayed at the Dawesfield manor house. Because of its history, Camp Woods had not been lumbered since the Revolutionary War."


I took a shot of this sign and should have taken another picture of the fence enclosure. What was supposed to be a deer exclosure has unfortunately been partially destroyed by a very large tree that fell on the fence. After checking the WVWA website, I discovered that this exclosure was built in the spring of 2014 and was installed in order to protect native Pennsylvania plants from being eaten by deer. More information about the deer exclosure and the reason it was built can be found here.


Sign for Camp Woods alongside Morris Road

The trail winds in different directions throughout the preserve



Back to open fields and shrub-scrub

Both the Armentrout and Camp Woods Preserves are open for equestrian use. Fortunately, these trails don't seem to get as much abuse from horses as I've seen in some of the local state parks. Shhh, don't tell anyone! I have no issue with horses or those who ride them, just walking through the ruts that are created when the weight of the horses tears up the ground. In areas at Nockamixon and Tyler State Parks, the ground is so badly rutted that it creates deep pools of mud and water that are difficult to avoid for a hiker.


As noted when you are first entering the grounds of the Camp Woods Preserve, you will be on or close to private property. Just to the left of where I took this picture was someone's home. At this point, you're cutting southwest away from Morris Road.



This area was pretty interesting. Initially, I thought this was a golf course but after looking at the location on Google Maps, it looks more like a mini golf course on private property with a total of four greens.


The trail leads to the back end of the private mini golf course and from there, you'll be back in the open fields/shrub-scrub. I spotted a few deer in there but as always, they took off before I could get a picture. In the preserve though, there's a deer stand not too far from where I spotted the deer. It would have been pretty cool to hang out in the stand for a while to see if I could spot some wildlife. 



I'm not entirely sure where but the trail(s) eventually lead you back into the Armentrout Preserve


This area is another section of the preserves where you'll be walking through private property. Once you get past the bamboo shoots, you'll literally be walking through someone's back yard.



This is the Miles Drive entrance to the Armentrout Preserve. There's a small trail leading into the preserve where there's a new kiosk station and the below sign.



Once I got past Miles Drive, I didn't take any more pictures except for the one below. Most of the area until you get somewhat closer to the parking lot is woodlands. As usual, I ended up taking a wrong turn and ended up in someone's back yard and had to turn back. I can't do a hike without getting turned around at least once!


As I mentioned already, the Armentrout and Camp Woods Preserves are probably a few of the best ones I've visited so far giving it offered a varied amount of terrain, woodlands, open fields and scrub-brush which was a good mix of different environments to check out. I hope to return to these preserves during the summer, maybe I can catch a few wildlife photos!

Once I was done at the Armentrout and Camp Woods Preserves, I was back on the road and on to my next objective, the Penllyn Woods (park) and Penllyn Natural Area.

Total Distance: 3.43 Miles
Avg speed: Approximately 2.12 MPH
Avg moving speed: Approximately 2.12 MPH
Moving Time: Approximately 1:25
Total Time: Approximately 1:37
Difficulty: Easy

Speeds, moving time and total time are approximate. For some reason, my tracking app didn't distinguish the difference between them this time around where usually it averages out between the times I was moving and stopping to take pictures Strange...I've never had this issue before.

As far as a trail map for Penllyn Woods goes, you might as well throw it in the trash. Some of the trails are accurate but after walking around the ball fields and getting into the natural surfaced trails, it turns out there are a lot more than what's shown on the map. More about this in a bit.

The Penllyn Natural Area is pretty small and covers both sides of the Wissahickon Creek. On one side of the creek, the Green Ribbon (Wissahickon) Trail cuts through, and on the opposite side is a small loop trail that for some reason, I didn't think to explore. Silly me, there were the remains of an old bridge and building next to it that I forgot to check out. For the trail map, use the above link but you likely won't need it. 

I parked in the Penllyn Woods parking area right next to the Penllyn Woods Community Building. According to the trail map, there are a few different places to park. The address listed on their website is:

1227 E Township Line Road
Penllyn, PA 19422
GPS: 40.1724298,-75.2549422

The above address will place a marker between Penllyn Woods and the Penllyn Natural Area but don't let that fool you. Keep driving up Township Line Road a distance and it'll bring you to the parking lot(s).


Right next to the parking lot in a little cul-de-sac is this American flag with a small plaque that was dedicated on September 11, 2002 in remembrance of those who perished on September 11, 2001. I may have an interest in history but I think it's pretty safe to assume most already know what this was about. Many of us will never forget, may their souls rest in peace.



For the first part of the hike, I decided to walk around the ball fields so there wasn't a heck of a lot to take pictures of. The trails around the ball fields are made of crushed stone. 


 
Looking back at the community building from the far end of the ball field

Between two of the ball fields, there's a connecting trail


With trees, flowers, etc., starting to bud and bloom,  it was nice to see some colors and yet another sign that warmer weather is on its way.



By now, I had walked around the first ball field, returned to my car to pick up my trail map (that I never used) and started walking around the second ball field. This is the opposite end of the connecting trail between the two. 


I found a few birds nests during this adventure




I'm not sure what kind of bird nest (or if it was a bird nest) this is but the opening was on the bottom. 



I looped around the second ball field and started walking along a third one. As you can see, there was no trail. Just to the left of this field is a batting cage. Instead of heading back to the only trail head that was on the map, I chose to walk around this field and it turned out to be a good choice. 



On the far end of this ball field, you'll see this small pond with a trail that leads around it. There was no twisting my arm to scope it out. There was plenty of wildlife in and around the pond but as usual, I scared them all away before I could get pictures.




As I reached the far end of the pond and attempted to loop around it, I found that the trail was pretty soggy and didn't want to walk through it. What I also noticed was another trail leading into the woods away from the pond so instead walking through soggy grass, I took the trail into the woods.

I wonder why knots like these are created in trees, a lot of the time, the reason seems to be unknown


I reached this clearing after hiking for a distance.  When I was walking around the second ball field, I saw this clearing but in that area, it's fenced off. This picture is looking west towards the Wissahickon Creek.


As I was walking in the clearing towards the Wissahickon Creek and Green Ribbon Trail, I spotted this horse-shoe nailed to a tree. There didn't seem to me any rhyme or reason for it. 


I saw a few of these on my last preserve tour and still have yet to figure out what they are or what they're used for. More to follow when I figure it out. 


Remember when I said you might as well throw that trail map of Penllyn Woods in the trash? Here's why. Within the boundaries of this park, the Horseways Trail cuts through and also shoots off in several different directions from what I saw. The link is to the Horseways main website and unfortunately doesn't provide much information about the trails themselves.


There were blue trail markers all over the place in these woods. 





I eventually made my way to the Green Ribbon Trail and by now, was almost at the northernmost section of the park.


The Green Ribbon Trail continues beyond this railroad bridge but this was where I stopped. I turned back to the south and hiked along the Wissahickon Creek for most of the journey back. 


Along the Green ribbon Trail are also several side trails that will bring you closer to the Wissahickon Creek. 





This is part of the Horseways Trail. I saw a sign close to this spot that called it a horse crossing. I'm also curious to know where the trail on the opposite side of the creek leads to.








As I continued south, I made my way into the Penllyn Natural Area. Unfortunately and unknowingly, I didn't explore the entire area though. Had I done so, I would have seen the remains of the old bridge and building I mentioned and possibly the Horseways Trail and where it led to. I took a few more shots of the Wissahickon Creek and from there, the Green Ribbon Trail made its way to Township Line Road. When I got to Township Line Road, I turned north towards the parking lot instead of continuing south. It's not like I need any excuses to go hiking but missing those few areas gives me a reason to return.



As I was walking on Township Line Road on my return to the parking lot, I took one last picture of the sign for Penllyn Woods. 


Like the last time I went on a multiple park and preserve tour, I had intentions of visiting more than I did. The reason I didn't this time around was due to blisters on a few of my toes from the hike I took at Evansburg State Park on Saturday. It seems the hiking footwear I have is comfortable for some time but after hiking 11 miles the day before, my feet were not happy with me. I've since ordered yet another pair of hiking boots, this time leather and a half size larger in hopes of resolving the ongoing pursuit of the "perfect footwear". To say it's been a trivial challenge is being nice, and for me to describe how I really feel about it would require some censorship. Hopefully, the new footwear will be the last pair for a while! They're nice and comfortable!

It was another good day of hiking despite the pain my toes were in from the blisters and it was a beautiful day to get out and enjoy the weather. Initially, I wasn't going to go hiking but by mid-morning, I couldn't resist the temptation and was out on the trail again. I hope you enjoyed the tour(s).

Until next time, happy adventures and happy hiking!

Please give my Facebook page a like!

No comments:

Post a Comment