Saturday, June 14, 2014

Deer Ticks, Insect Repellents, and Lyme Disease


In the past few years, I've had some very close encounters with those nasty little vampires known as deer ticks. Twice in fact, I've been to a doctor to either get tested for Lyme disease or to discuss my options, my most recent visit being less than two weeks ago.

A few years ago, I went hiking at Ralph Stover and High Rocks State Parks, I checked out the scenery which was beautiful, hiked a few of the trails and at one point during my adventure, I decided to go off the trail so I could walk alongside the Tohickon Creek and find some spots to go fishing. At that time, I didn't think much about making sure I was protected from any kind of biting critters. Lo and behold a few days later, I was checking myself and found one of these little vampires had bitten me in an area that wouldn't be allowed in pictures without an explicit or NSFW warning (not there, but darn close!). I freaked out as you can imagine. It had been more than 24 hours since my tiny eight legged arachnid had hitched a ride. In fact, I think it was at about day three when I discovered it.

In a half panic, I called the doctor and asked to get in as soon as possible. They took my blood, and in a few days the results had returned and thankfully, I was in the clear. A few deep breaths and a sigh of relief, life could return to normal. I got lucky...

Last weekend, I was in Delaware visiting with friends and family. We all went to Holts Landing State Park to do some crabbing and clamming. My brothers and I had some time to burn so we decided to take a walk along the trails in the wooded area (not along the shoreline) which was a BIG mistake. We didn't get more than about a few hundred feet into the woods and discovered the area was infested with deer ticks (dog ticks too), more than I had ever seen before. We quickly raced out of the woods and did everything we could to get the little blood suckers off of us.

As I didn't have plans to go hiking that day, I was ill prepared for a walk in the woods. Lesson learned, make sure to BRING INSECT AND TICK REPELLENT no matter where you go! Also be sure to check yourself very closely when you get out of the woods. A day later I had one of those little vampires crawl off one of my sneakers onto my hand as I was getting set up to treat them. Being from out of state, I didn't realize how bad it was in the woods of Delaware. After getting home and doing some research, I found out that the nation’s second smallest state had the highest rate of reported Lyme disease in 2013. Be safe out there people, and be prepared. Lyme disease is no laughing matter!

My second visit with the doctor was quick and painless and he didn’t take my blood this time. He did check me for tick bites and like me, did not find anything. In fact, I was more thorough in checking myself for ticks than he was so it was more like spending $25 to have a doctor tell me he didn’t think I had contracted Lyme disease, thanks buddy. He sent me on my way and said that if I start to feel symptoms within the next week or so to give him another call. So far, other than being sore from hiking last weekend, I have not noticed any symptoms…hopefully I’m in the clear.

With that being said, what does one do to prevent being bitten by one of these tiny little time bombs and contracting Lyme disease? There are several solutions that will help but I don't think there's any way to completely avoid being bitten unless you live in a bubble and never leave your home. I'm not usually one to promote using pesticides but after my second too-close-for-comfort encounter with deer ticks, I feel that being safe is much better than being sorry. So, what’s the solution?

One of many solutions is Permethrin which is a contact killer for ticks along with several other types of insects. It can be applied to and bonds with your clothing and will last several washings before you have to re-treat. While in its liquid form and in high concentrations, it can be potentially harmful to humans, once it dries it's virtually harmless.

Keep in mind that any chemical can have an adverse effect on humans and be sure to read the MSDS, instructions (make sure you follow them too), and warnings thoroughly. It might also be a good idea to test an item of clothing and make sure you have a change of clothes when you hit the trail before going all out and treating everything. While the adverse effects of Permethrin don’t seem to be bad on humans, it’s always better to be cautious and proceed when you know you're safe. This past weekend, I treated some of my clothes before I went hiking and it didn’t seem to bother me.

Be advised that Permethrin is extremely dangerous to cats and aquatic animals. If you decide to buy and use Permethrin, make sure you keep it away from your feline and aquatic friends and read the proper MSDS for the item you purchased. There are varying concentrations of Permethrin depending on where you purchase from. For more information on Permethrin and its possible side effects, refer to the following sites:

You can download a free PDF document from The National Academies Press website titled Health Effects of Permethrin-Impregnated Army Battle-Dress Uniforms. If you sign in as a guest, you do not need to create an account to download it

More information on Permethrin:
Where to buy Permethrin:
Amazon  

I am in no way advocating the use of the below Permethrin products but according to some of the reviewers, they've been used for treating clothing successfully and can save you a great deal of money due to it being in a concentrated form (you’ll need to dilute it yourself). Use these at your own risk, I am not responsible for your actions should you decide to! 

Martin'sPermethrin (10% concentrate) 
PermethrinSFR 32 oz. Bottle (38.6% concentrate) 

With all this information about Permethrin, you’d think I’m a salesman for the product. I assure you, I’m not. However, I was freaked out enough after my second deer tick encounter to take preventative measures more seriously and to be aware of my surroundings since I’m out in the woods frequently. I’ve known of Permethrin for a long time but never used it until I treated some of my clothes last weekend. Did it work? I didn’t get bitten wherever I was covered by clothing but those mosquitoes still got a hold of me where I wasn’t. 

Other repellents that can be used with or without Permethrin:

DEET

I can’t stand the smell of this stuff and will only use it as a last resort. Does it work? Yes. Do I want my skin to feel clammy and smell so badly that people will also run in the opposite direction? Not really. Newer brands of DEET are apparently less smelly and clammy/greasy but as I said, it’s a last resort. I'll use it if no other solutions are available but otherwise, it can stay on the shelf at the store as far as I'm concerned.

DEET is also known to dissolve/melt breathable fabrics including rayon, nylon, spandex, Gore-Tex, certain types of plastics, tents, and even people's Swiss Army knives! Keep this in mind while you're hiking in the woods with your not-so-cheap hiking gear.

There are a multitude of different concentrations and brands of DEET products available on the market but from what the CDC (Center for Disease Control) states, concentrations over 50% do not provide added protection. However, even though they don't provide added protection, the higher concentrations are said to last longer and need less applications.

DEET General Fact Sheet 

As with any chemical/insecticide, caution should be used when applying DEET to your skin. More information on recent studies of DEET can be found here.

Picaridin

Avon Skin So Soft Bug Guard Plus Picaridin – I’ve used this on occasion and I have two bottles of it since I wanted to avoid using DEET. It seems to work well but it’s been a long time since I’ve used it so I can’t attest to just how long it’s effective. I’ll update this post when I test it again which I probably will.  

Picaridin's smell isn't as bad, is not greasy/clammy, and is said to work as effectively as DEET depending on the concentration (usually 10%-20%). It's also won't damage materials as DEET can so there's no worrying if you spill any that it will melt your hiking gear, etc. There are also several different brand names besides Avon you can purchase at Amazon, REI, Eastern Mountain Sports, Walmart and a host of other stores. 

Picaridin General Fact Sheet

Here is a site that does a side by side comparison of Picaridin and DEET 

Picaridin vs. DEET

Essential Oils

Use essential oils to make an all-natural insect repellent. I’ve tried this once by making a homemade sunscreen/insect repellent/lotion using a combination of cedarwood and peppermint essential oils which did work but I had to reapply it 3-4 times within the 6 hours I was hiking. If I stopped anywhere, I was buzzed by mosquitoes (and bitten by a few) and gnats so I guess I’ll have to keep working on an effective longer lasting skin treatment if I choose to keep trying the natural methods. You can also take a ride to your local natural food stores or shop online to see what natural repellents are available for purchase instead of making your own. One repellent that I haven't yet tried but is said to work well is called Repel Lemon Eucalyptus Insect Repellent

Some essential oils that are said to repel insects (ticks included) include peppermint, cedarwood, tea tree, lemongrass, lavender, rose geranium, clove, eucalyptus, lemon eucalyptus, pennyroyal, lemon, juniper, rosewood and several others. Unfortunately, finding one or a combination of oils that can repel insects and ticks over a long period of time can prove to be a bit of a challenge. My first experiment with essential oils did not go well for repelling insects but at least I can still use it as a lotion and sunscreen.

Like your chemical insect repellents, you should be very careful with essential oils and be sure to read the precautions and instructions before applying them to your skin. You should also test on a small area before application in the event of a reaction.

Here's an interesting read from the University of Maine regarding the use of different insect repellents including some I've never heard of.

Fact Sheet - Insect Repellents  

Another on insect repellents, three of which are mentioned in this article and another called IR3535

The Four Best Bug Repellents

A few other measures you can take to help prevent tick bites are: 

Wear a hat. Wearing light colored clothing so that if/when one is crawling around looking for a sweet spot, it can be more easily seen. Tuck your pants into your socks so they won’t find a way to your skin. Tuck your shirt into your pants and wear long sleeves. Try not to stray off the trail if you can help it. Staying off trails doesn't mean you won't get them on you though. During my adventure in Delaware last week, my brothers and I stayed on the trail and we all still managed to get ticks on us which leads me to my next piece of advice. If you're in woods and notice a lot of those 8 legged critters walking around on you, it would be best to just get out of there and hike elsewhere. 

Once you get home from your adventure, check yourself thoroughly including the armpits, behind the knees, groin, buttocks, and head. Years ago, I actually had a tick bite me through my sock into the top of my foot so even making sure all parts of your body are covered doesn't always mean you won't have one hitch a ride.

Put any clothes you wore into the dryer for 15 or more minutes on its highest heat setting before washing. Ticks are said to be able to survive through the washing machine, even in high heat but are very sensitive to dry heat. The hot dry air from a dryer can kill them. 

If you get a tick on you, use a set of fine tipped tweezers, get a hold of it as close to the skin as possible and slowly pull it straight out. Once removed, be sure to clean the area thoroughly.

Matchless strategy for tick removal; 6 steps to avoid tick bites 

A book from The Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station regarding ticks.

Tick Management Handbook

There's a lot more information on ticks, Lyme disease and repellents than what's mentioned here, too much for just one article...more to follow. I hope you enjoyed this, feel free to comment and let me know what you think. 

Please give my Facebook page a like! 

No comments:

Post a Comment