Saturday, October 31, 2015

Thompson Trail

Date of Hike: Saturday, October 17, 2015
Total Distance: 4.34 Miles
Avg speed: 2.4 MPH
Total Time: 1:47:00
Conditions: Partly Sunny, 53 Degrees
Difficulty: Easy, Moderate

On September 17th, I took a ride out to the Pickering Ice Dam Trail to check out the fall colors since it's that time of the year. There's a chill in the air and the leaves are starting to change to different shades of oranges, yellows and reds. So far, it's been fantastic! I don't look forward to the cold of winter but as of right now, it's too beautiful not to get outside and enjoy the colors. Plus, it really hasn't been that cold out yet. I can deal with the 50's relatively easy, it's when it gets down into the 20's where I feel like hibernating and not coming out until spring.

After hiking the Ice Dam and Pickering Trails (again), I decided my day wasn't over yet and headed a few miles south on State Route 29 (State Road) to check out the Thompson Trail. I had passed this trail while hiking the Horse-Shoe Trail on September 9th from Valley Forge to the Great Valley Nature Center and marked it as one to check out in the near future. On an impulse decision, I decided that since I was close, I might as well see what it was about. To obtain a copy of the trail map, click here.

For this hike, I parked at the Great Valley Nature Center. The address is:

4180 Hollow Road
Malvern, PA 19355
GPS: 40.0908442,-75.5442263

There's also limited parking at the end of Tinker Hill Lane (note that it's listed as Tinkerhill Road on Google Maps). That address is:

1139 Tinkerhill Road
Malvern, PA 19355
GPS: 40.095421, -75.531970


Note that if you park at the Great Valley Nature Center, you'll need to hike the Horse-Shoe Trail to the northeast for a short distance before reaching the Thompson Trail.

I hadn't intended on creating a blog post for this hike but after thinking about it, I decided to do so since I had never been on this trail before. With this being said, I really didn't take many pictures during the beginning of the hike since my original idea was to get the fall colors. On my return, I was a little less picky about what I was taking pictures of and took more shots of the trail.

Below is a section of the Horse-Shoe Trail on Aldham Road.


A little further down Aldham Road, you'll find your first trail marker for the Thompson Trail (and the Horse-Shoe Trail).


By the looks of it, there are two different branches of the Thompson Trail leading into one although the one section may no longer be open. At the time, I didn't have the updated trail map which doesn't show the upper section of the trail.

The below picture is from when I hiked the Horse-Shoe Trail from Valley Forge to the Great Valley Nature Center. If you start your hike from the nature center, you'll be crossing over these abandoned tracks to get to the Thompson Trail.

Built in 1883 and known as the Phoenixville Branch, sections of this railroad were abandoned at different times between 1941 and 2004.


Since I had hiked this section of the Horse-Shoe Trail back in September, I knew there was another trail head for the Thompson Trail and instead of turning to the northeast at this point, I continued following the Horse-Shoe Trail southward. The trail makes a few turns heading mostly in an easterly direction until it reaches Union Hill Road.


Once you reach Union Hill Road, the second trail head for the Thompson Trail is directly across the street (you'll see the below sign signifying the trail) and Horse-Shoe Trail turns to the southeast.


Once you're on the Thompson Trail, it makes a turn to the northwest. As you continue following the trail, you'll see a small pond to your right (northeast of the trail) and after a short distance, it takes another turn to the northeast. Note that this is the section of the Thompson Trail that I'm not sure if it's still supposed to be used. There are still trail markers (white) and some semblance of a trail but it doesn't look to be in as good of shape as the rest of the trail.

I'm not sure what this structure was at one time but I'd sure like to find out!

One you make your turn to the northeast, you'll cross over a small stream and up a hill to this stone wall where the Thompson Trail will veer to the right.

Stone wall looking towards the northwest

The trail then turns quickly back to the northeast and continues up the hill. This stone wall runs alongside the hill for a distance.



Again, I didn't take pictures for quite a distance but I made up for it on my return. Once you reach the top of the hill by the stone wall, you'll be skirting along the western edge of a field, then turning to the southeast along a dirt road through the middle of the field until you reach the cul-de-sac at Tinkerhill Road (Tinker Hill Lane). From there, you'll make another turn to the northeast along the western edge of that same field until you get to a small treeline. Once you get through that treeline, you'll end up on the edge of the below field. If you look to the northwest, you'll see the Thompson home.

Some of the fall colors on the Thompson Trail

The Thomson Trail turns to the east, then loops again to the northeast along the edge of the above field and into the woods.


Once you get past this field, it's mostly wooded and was the best area for taking pictures of the fall colors.


The Thompson Trail is relatively new and was opened on October 1, 2014 after the Thompsons conserved their farm through the French and Pickering Creek Trust which added more than 100 acres to the more than 3000 acres being preserved in Charlestown Township.

From the 1950's to the 1970's, the Thompson land was a dairy farm. At that time, there was a dairy store on White Horse Road what is now the Maplecroft Building. I believe it's still a dairy but is no longer owned by the Thompsons. The Pickering Valley Golf Course is also a part of the Thompson farm.


The trail winds back and forth but mostly heading in a northeast direction, more north than east. From this point on, most of what I was shooting were the fall colors so I don't know exactly what section of the trail I was on, only that some of the colors along the trail were very nice.








The Thompson Trail comes to an end at the edge of this field and from this point, it was time to turn around and return to the car.



Once I turned to head back to the car, I started taking more pictures of the trail.

Now heading southwest on my return to the car



Funky looking tree next to the trail

There are a number of dirt roads splitting off in different directions. While walking through these woods, there are residences to the west and the Pickering Valley Golf Club is to the east. I'm curious to know if some of these dirt roads lead to either, or what they had been used for at one time.


Looking back to the woods I had just been through


Although not shown in the picture, this sign is posted at the small parking area at the end of Tinker Hill Lane. There's maybe enough room for a few vehicles.

Sign at the cul-de-sac on Tinker Hill Lane

Dirt road crossing the middle of the first field I had encountered when I started my hike



Although there's a chill in the air, there are still some flowers to be found.


Now back to the semi-paved trail and heading down the hill alongside the stone wall.



Small stream crossing just before getting back to Union Hill Road. When I approached this section, I had come from the left side where the opening is.


Looking to the southeast on Union Hill Road

After heading southeast for a short distance, the Thompson Trail heads back into the woods in a northwesterly direction parallel with Union Hill Road.


While not overgrown, this section of the trail is much skinnier than the dirt roads you'll find on the opposite side of Union Hill Road.



This view is looking back towards Union Hill Road, close to where the abandoned railroad tracks are. From here, the Thompson Trail merges with the Horse-Shoe Trail and makes turn to the southwest. At this point, you're relatively close to Aldham Road and the Great Valley Nature Center.


That was it for my tour of the Thompson Trail. In all, it was a decent hike but a short one that was well worth the trip out there to check out, especially for the fall colors. The trail is a relatively easy hike with a few hills to climb but nothing too strenuous. If you plan to hike the Thompson Trail, I'd make it one of your stops and not the only one if you're looking to get more than a few miles of hiking in. The Thompson Trail intersects with the Horse-Shoe Trail so you wouldn't have to go far to add some distance!

I'd like to thank Sue Staas, Chair of the Trails Committee in Charlestown Township for providing me with some insight on the history of the Thompson Trail and family. I hope to find out some more about the history of this trail and if I do, I'll update my post accordingly.

Until next time, happy hiking and happy exploring!

Please give my Facebook page a like!

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I enjoyed your description and beautiful autumn photos of the Thompson Trail. I think this may be the same trail I hiked with my Boy Scout Troop 73 back in the mid 70s. Coincidentally my scoutmaster's name was Mr. Ed Thomson (no relation to Thompson dairy family with a p). I remember accessing a trail off Creek Rd. (to the north just off your map), although it may have been a different trail than the Thompson.

    Happy trails,
    Ted W. Ryan

    ReplyDelete