Sunday, August 10, 2014

Natural Lands Trust's Gwynedd Wildlife Preserve

Date of Hike: Saturday, August 9, 2014
Total Distance: 5.9 Miles
Avg Speed: 1.93 MPH
Avg Moving Speed: 2.15 MPH
Moving Time: 2:44:39
Total Time: 3:03:15
Conditions: Sunny, 85 Degrees
Difficulty: Easy with some moderate

My original intention was to go to Fort Washington State Park but as I was browsing Google Maps, I spotted the Natural Lands Trust's Gwynedd Wildlife Preserve which is about 10 more miles north and decided to go there instead. I've been to Fort Washington State Park a number of times both hiking and fishing and a good part of the trails are paved unless you want to include the fishing trails that aren't maintained. It's not to say I won't go hiking there again but it isn't exactly a top notch hiking spot if you're looking for a challenge and there are numerous other places in the vicinity with trails that aren't paved. It turns out the wildlife preserve wasn't much of a challenge either but I had never been there before and I wanted to check it out.

Approximate Address:
545 Swedesford Road
North Wales, PA 19454
GPS: 40.191954, -75.272491

For some reason, the street address could not be found by my GPS (Garmin) but then again, it also has me taking three right turns to go left at times too. No, I'm not kidding...it happened to me on the way home from the preserve. I tried to get a picture before the light turned green but the flash was enabled so all I got was a bright blotch. Glad I knew where I was by that time. Anyway, if your GPS can't find the address, try using the GPS coordinates. 

Not that this place is going to be super busy at any time but if you decide to go, be advised that the parking lot is small. It can possibly fit maybe 10 vehicles at the most. I forgot to take a picture of it but as soon as you enter into the preserve, it's on the left. Total trail mileage at this preserve is about six miles. Right next to the parking lot is a small garden and a kiosk where you can pick up a trail map.



I started my hike heading northeast crossing over Swedesford Road. As you can see from my tracks, I wasn't even on the trail and had to figure out where I had managed to get myself "lost". There are more trails on the grounds than what's shown on the trail map. Another issue is, well, you can see below that the signage isn't much help either.






Nice lush green area alongside the trail













The below area is called the Tunnel Farm Woods although there's not much as far as woods go, it looks more like a tree farm to me. 





I should have paid closer attention to the map, right behind me were more trails that I could have checked out but completely bypassed instead. 



It's not shown on the map but there's a trail that leads you to Route 202 (DeKalb Pike). From there, you can cross over the Wissahickon Creek and head northwest on the Green Ribbon Trail. Be advised, Route 202 is busy and while there's enough room for a pedestrian alongside the road, you'll be walking with your back to the traffic. If you decide to cross the Wissahickon here, it might be best to approach from the Green Ribbon Trail and cross over the Wissahickon into the preserve so you're facing traffic. I hadn't thought about that until I was walking on 202 with traffic zooming past me. The walk on 202 from the trail leading out of the preserve to the Green Ribbon Trail is about 100-150 yards. 



Not the best picture in the world but I found it kind of funny that in the middle of the woods alongside the Wissahickon Creek that there was a squash/pumpkin/watermelon (not sure which) plant growing in the weeds. 



A shot of the Wissahickon looking upstream, as you can see it's not much of a creek in this area and is relatively shallow. 




Looking downstream on the Wissahickon



Sections of the Green Ribbon Trail, also known as the Wissahickon Trail. This same trail will bring you to Fort Washington State Park. I noted as I jumped on the trail on 202, that across the street it was paved. As you can see, the section I was on was not.







The trail splits off but the one to the right leads to the creek then basically nowhere. There were quite a few side trails along the way that look to be Wissahickon Valley Watershed Association property.





The base of this tree was enormous, probably a good 6 feet in width, if not more. 



There wasn't a lot for rock formations but there were a few spots alongside the creek that I was able to capture. 



While I wasn't able to get a shot, I saw what looked like an American mink close to where the two rocks at the bottom of the picture are. By the time I had my camera ready, it had ducked under the rock closer to the middle.




Old fence in the middle of the woods. Thought it might have been an old graveyard but it wasn't

I don't normally post pictures of trees that have been defaced by someone carving on them but I thought this was pretty neat.  I wonder what it says?


 




One of the few stepping stone crossings on the Green Ribbon Trail






Once you cross over the Wissahickon, there's a side trail that will take you back to the wildlife preserve property.  Most of the trails in this part of the preserve provide little to no shade. I did see some side trails that lead into the woods but a lot of the land in the area are open fields.









One of the few shady trails in the preserve, unfortunately as I went further in, it was overgrown and I was wearing my shorts so I turned back. 






Looks like a pear tree, maybe?


Field of yellow flowers and a blue sky above



This was about it for my adventure at Natural Lands Trust's Gwynedd Wildlife Preserve. I took more pictures than what's posted here but I'm saving them for another post that should be coming up in the near future. For the most part, the trails are easy to walk and you won't have much difficulty finding your way around (unless you're like me and take the wrong trails all the time!). Eventually, I got bored with the trails since it was a lot of the same throughout the preserve. In all, it was a decent place but I likely won't be breaking the door down to return anytime soon. I'd also recommend that if you decide to go there that you do so in the spring or on a day where it's cooler outside. Walking around in the 85 degree weather with little shade is tolerable but it did get toasty. 

Happy exploring and happy hiking!

Please give my Facebook page a like! 

No comments:

Post a Comment