Friday, August 22, 2014

Ways to Protect and Preserve Your Maps

After spending most of the spring and summer exploring Southeastern Pennsylvania and some in New Jersey, one of the constant issues I run into is keeping the maps I have in good working condition. A lot of times, I find maps online and print them on a regular sheet of paper to bring with me. If there's a map at the location I'm exploring, I always grab two in case one gets destroyed, which they usually do. As anyone well knows, paper and the elements simply don't mix. Top this off with the heat of the summer sun and sweating, it's a perfect recipe for making a slurry out of what used to be your guide on the trail. You can use a GPS device but there's always the possibility of the battery dying or losing your signal and ending up walking in circles as I did at Haycock Mountain. What's worse, you could end up getting lost and in a situation where you may need help. Of course there's more to this than just having a map, learning  how to navigate using a compass is something every adventurer should do (something even I need to work on!).

The other issue is with maps you have to purchase. A few months ago, I purchased a map of the Horse-Shoe Trail and when it arrived, I noted the maps (there are 10 of them for the different sections of the trail) are very delicate and more flimsy than regular paper. If I'm going to be taking them on the trail with me, how am I to preserve them without having to dish out additional money to purchase another set when they get destroyed? By the way, good luck finding a decent map of the Horse-Shoe Trail online. I tried for a long time and there are some, but none of them are of good quality or detail. To top this off, the trail tends to be changed from time to time depending on what's going on (new housing, construction, detours during hunting season, etc.).

In my mission to find a solution that won't break the bank, I started researching ways to protect my maps. Below are a few ideas that I found by scouring the internet. Bear in mind, these are only suggestions on how you can protect your maps. I haven't tried most of them and if I do, I'll update this post accordingly.  I'd love to buy and try but some of them can end up being relatively costly and I'm not looking to spend a lot in my efforts to preserve a map that can easily be accessed online and re-printed. 

(1.) I looked at ways to make my paper waterproof and found what's called Aquaseal Map Seal but after checking out their website, I discovered it won't work for inkjet printers and will cause the ink to smear. Supposedly it can be used with laser printers though. It can also still be used for other types of maps so I might be picking some up to give it a try. Depending on where you shop, it ranges in price from $9.99 (Campmor) to $12.95 (REI) per bottle and can coat 6-8 topographical maps. I also checked Eastern Mountain Sports since it's more local to me but it doesn't look like they carry it.

(2.) There are a few different companies that sell waterproof/resistant paper which is made of a synthetic type material making it hard to rip although it can be stretched and some can easily be punctured. From what I've read, it can be hit or miss if it works depending on the type of printer and ink you have. Inkjet printers seem to have the most varied results. Searching around, I found three brands that get some good reviews:
  • Rite in the Rain - this company sells copier/laser paper and inkjet paper. They also sell different types of notebooks, loose leaf paper and pens that will work in a wet environment. If you'd like to purchase locally, check out the dealer finder on their website.
  • iGage Weatherproof Paper - this paper is said to work in most situations but for the cost, it's tough to make a decision on buying it if it doesn't. They also have paper in 11x17 and 13x19 sizes if you have a printer that can handle them. 
  • National Geographic Adventure Paper - this comes in letter, legal, and 11x17 sizes. If for any reason you can't buy it through National Geographic, the letter size is also available through REI
There are other brands you can look at but these are the ones that I found to have the best and most reviews. Here's a website that rates all three as far as the quality goes with each having its ups and downs.

(3.) Self-adhesive laminating sheets are available at just about every stationery store, Amazon, and a host of others. There are also a number of different brands you can look into. Make sure you read the reviews and check around for the best deal as prices seem to vary quite a bit. Per example, Staples sells a 50 pack of Avery laminating sheets for $33.17 and Amazon has the exact same pack for $14.76 (as of today...if you shop on Amazon, you also know their prices fluctuate all the time). Keep in mind if you purchase these laminating sheets that you'll need two for each map unless you just want to protect one side.

Update - August 31, 2014: For testing purposes, I bought a pack of 10 to see how they'll work out and have laminated a few of my maps. Once I get a chance, I'll post the results on how they withstand the rigors of the outdoors and the elements. Dealing with the sheets is much easier than the Duck Laminate (see #5 below) since they don't roll up on you when you're working with them. They're pre-cut so you have to be a little more precise with the placement of your maps and there isn't as much room for error if you place the map on crooked or the second sheet doesn't go on straight. Since the Duck Laminate comes in rolls, you can cut it to a preferred size allowing for better flexibility and a larger margin of error.

(4.) Thermal laminating machine and laminating pouches. I didn't do much research on these because I don't want to spend the money but they're said to be effective. The machines themselves can vary in price from just under $20 (literally just under) to over $130 depending on features and how efficient you want them to be. You also have to purchase the laminating pouches so your basic start-up cost will be in the range of about $30 if you go with an inexpensive machine and a small amount of laminating pouches. Like the laminating sheets, you'll need two for each map you want to laminate.

(5.) Clear self-adhesive shelf liners are the route I went and if you don't mind a little manual work and some frustration, this is an inexpensive way to protect your maps from damage and the elements. I went to Walmart and picked up a roll of 12"x36' Duck Laminate for $5.48 and tried it on a few of my maps. I have yet to test them out in the elements but it seems to have done a good job and it's thin enough to allow folding so you can put them in your pocket.

The frustrating part? They come in rolls and it can be a pain in the neck to get the adhesive backing off without it curling over and sticking to whatever surface you're working on. You also have to contend with the adhesive side sticking to your fingers. Once the backing is removed, it's easier to deal with and flattens out for the most part. Once I covered the map, I used a paper trimmer to cut the excess plastic off and I now have maps that have a nice clear coating of flexible plastic on them. All that's left is testing to see how effective it is.

The glossy finish on the laminate doesn't cause much of a problem with being too bright in the sun. When I first started using it, I had concerns about if it would be too reflective and would be difficult to see in bright sunlight. Once I laminated several of my maps, I discovered that it wasn't a problem. Just make sure that when you're looking at your map that you don't angle it so the sun will reflect into your eyes.

Update - August 31, 2014: I had an opportunity to give a laminated map a test run in the rain at Tyler State Park last weekend. It was a light rain for about half of the hike and for testing purposes, I intentionally kept the map in my hand so it would get wet. It withstood the elements but I'll have to give it another run with a more steady rain to see if it makes a difference. So far, I'm happy with the results.

(6.) Zip-lock bags are the easiest and most cost effective way to protect your maps from the elements but they won't prevent damage from use. If you don't mind throwing away your maps and re-printing them, this would be your best option. If you don't know where to get zip-lock bags, I'm not going to tell you either! :)

That just about wraps it up for ideas that I've found for protecting maps from the abuse of a long day on the trail. If anyone has suggestions or other methods they've used to protect and preserve their maps, I'd love to hear them.

Happy adventures and happy hiking!

Please give my Facebook page a like! 

No comments:

Post a Comment