Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Tyler Arboretum

Date of Hike: Saturday, August 16, 2014
Total Distance: 13.22 Miles
Avg Speed: 1.98 MPH
Avg Moving Speed: 2.3 MPH
Moving Time: 5:45:02
Total Time: 6:40:13
Conditions: Sunny, 83 Degrees
Difficulty: Easy, Moderate, Difficult

On Saturday, I spent a good part of the day exploring Tyler Arboretum. It's almost hard to believe in a mere 650 acres of land that there are over 12 miles of trails and I did my best to cover most of them. From one of my previous posts, I had made my next objective 12 miles and managed just over 13 this time around.  Safe to say that by the time I was done, I was tired! More than anything, while my legs were fatigued from walking so much, it was my feet that were more of a problem. More on this in an upcoming post as I continue to learn through research and much trial and error.

I started out in the garden and eventually made my way to the trails outside the fenced in area. Take note that Tyler Arboretum is a family friendly location and if you're looking for a little peace and quiet to enjoy nature, you're going to have to wait until you make your way to the trails outside the fence. Once outside the fence, the trails are a good mix of terrain and for the most part are in very good condition. There were a few spots that could have used some TLC but not many. It was a good day of hiking.

Address:
501 Painter Road
Media, PA 19063
GPS: 39.934025, -75.441828

Google Maps states the address is 524 Painter Road but the address listed on Tyler Arboretum's website is 501, I'd go with what's on their website. I love Google Maps but it's not always accurate. Please also note that there is an $11 admission fee to explore the arboretum. For a map of the fenced in part, click here. You can also pick up trail maps at the visitor center.


This was in the parking lot heading into the gift shop.


One of several tree houses throughout the grounds. These are called the Storybrook Houses






There was an opening inside for kids to crawl through to the left side.

One of the first places I stopped was the butterfly garden. The last four pictures were taken outside the garden. I went a little crazy with the butterfly pictures but it's rare I get the opportunity to shoot them at such close range. In all my years of exploring, this was my very first visit to an actual butterfly garden.












 




It's a little bit tough to see but this tree (called the Bell House) has ropes attached to chimes where if you pull on them, it's supposed to make the chimes ring.










Small garden within the big garden. There were lots of flowers as well as vegetables growing in there.


Another one of the many tree houses ( called Strummin' & Drummin') scattered throughout the grounds. I took a quick peek inside this one since it looked pretty interesting. I liked how it was built with pieces of wood making it look uneven but still neat. It's supposed to be a guitar and drum and while I can see the drum part, the guitar doesn't really look like one to me. 






I believe this was a tree house called Backyard Memories but it looked to be closed

The Imagination Station





After strolling around the fenced in area for some time, I made my way to gate #1 leading outside of the main garden area (trail map) heading north to start my adventure on the Rocky Run Trail (blue). I followed the Rocky Run Trail until it doubled back and met up with the Minshall Trail (white) which was the one I was on for most of my hike. As you'll see, the trails in this area are well maintained.






In several areas, the trails overlap for a distance then split off in different directions.





The Painter (red) and Minshall Trails are one in the same for a good distance. Looks to me like some birds decided to make their own trail markers as well. 


I knew the Tyler Arboretum bordered Ridley Creek State Park but what I didn't know is that there's a connecting trail between the two. Unfortunately as you can see, someone decided they'd try to make it difficult to read. 


The junction where the Minshall and Painter Trails finally split off in different directions. 



This is what looks to be the remains of an old spring house.



At this creek, the Rocky Run, Painter and Minshall Trails all merge into the same for a distance. A short distance downstream, there's a small drop making a bit of a waterfall (if you want to call it that). I believe the name of the creek is also Rocky Run. As usual, I'm always intrigued by the shapes of the rocks and the different layers on them, some of which look like rings on a tree or two different colored paints that were mixed together creating a swirl.






The "waterfall"


View looking back upstream to the trail




I found this to be interesting. At this stream crossing and behind the fallen tree, there's a concrete wall and the stream is running over a slab of poured concrete as well (also the cinder block). I checked around the area to see if there were any ruins but I didn't spot any. I found it a bit odd to find this in the middle of the woods. There has to be more to this but I haven't researched it yet.




Some sort of gelatinous looking fungus

Moss growing on a fallen tree

Still on the Minshall Trail, I crossed over Barren Road and a short distance up the trail, I spotted these rocks that have a similar look to Swiss cheese. There was a lot of them in this area and for their size, they seemed a bit heavy.


Then there were the trees that looked like they had grown upside-down




I stopped at what was left of this bench to take a quick snack break and to change out of my sweaty socks.


Branch sticking out of the very base of a tree

Daddy Long Legs, also known as Harvestmen

Another one of those funky Swiss cheese looking rocks.

In this area, it was difficult to tell what was the trail and what wasn't because it was mostly open space between the trees with plenty of room for moving around. There are plenty of trail markers to guide you along the way.

Patch of ferns alongside the trail



This hill was just after crossing over Painter Road as you're nearing the Pink Hill Trail (pink). 


One of two different areas where the Minshall and Pink Hill Trails merge for a distance

Information about Pink Hill


  
Information on the Chestnut Tree Restoration can be found here


Once I passed the chestnut nursery and crossed back over Painter Road, I switched to the Dismal Run Trail (orange) since the Minshall was leading back to the fenced in area and continued along the Dismal Run Creek.


I didn't take too many more pictures of the trails but as the Dismal Run Trail doubled back towards the main garden, I switched to the Painter Trail, headed north again until I reached the Middle Farm Trail (yellow) and then finally returned to the fenced in area through gate 3. Before walking through the gate, I snapped off a few more shots. 




Once back inside the fenced in area, I circled around the inside perimeter until I reached gate 7. They're not shown on the trail map but there's plenty of space if you want to follow along the fence.




This was probably the most interesting thing I saw during my hike but whatever insect this was, it had a wasp in its grasp, I'm guessing it was dinner time! 



I didn't go all the way through but this is a section of the Stopford Family Meadow Maze




I'm not sure how it was possible but I managed to walk right past this giant sequoia tree without seeing it and had to turn back to get pictures. It was planted in 1856 and if you look at the top, it has a double trunk due to someone cutting the top off to use it for a Christmas tree in 1895. It's the largest tree in the state of Pennsylvania and one of the largest on the east coast.






Once I took pictures of the sequoia, I circled back to the meadow maze and shot off a few more pictures. 




Another tree fort called Fort Tyler and by the looks of it, one of the newest. 



 
I believe these were called animal hides


 
I couldn't help it, on my way back through the garden, I took some more pictures of butterflies

This was in the parking lot on my way back to the car.

That was it for my adventure at Tyler Arboretum and it was another excellent day of hiking and exploring. In all, this place is definitely one I'd like to eventually return to and since Ridley Creek State Park is right next door, I can add more distance to my hike when I do. Going 13 miles in a single hike is a new record for me and although I was tired and my feet hurt at the end, it motivates me to push even further.

Happy adventures and happy hiking! 

Please give my Facebook page a like! 

2 comments:

  1. I knew I had hiked in Tyler State Park once before and just checked back in my records... 1994! It would have been shortly after I moved to the East Coast. Guess I haven't been there since because dogs are not allowed. But thanks for the tour - I remember none of it! Gorgeous butterfly shots!

    Daniela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I visited another butterfly garden on Sunday as well, post will be up today or tomorrow. Tyler Arboretum is a different place than Tyler State Park. The arboretum is in Delaware County and you're correct that they unfortunately do not allow dogs there. Tyler State Park is here in Bucks County close to where I live, they still allow dogs.

      1994 huh? You've been hiking for a long time then! I've been recreational hiking for as long as I can remember but this year, I decided to take it a step further and have been loving it. How long have you had your blog going?

      Delete