Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Kirkwood Preserve

Date of Hike: Saturday, May 23, 2015
Total Distance: 1.84 Miles
Avg speed: 2.04 MPH
Avg moving speed: 2.17 MPH
Moving Time: 50:52
Total Time: 54:00
Conditions: Sunny, 59 Degrees
Difficulty: Easy, Moderate

This past Saturday, I explored three different preserves within the same area similar to my multiple preserve and park tours earlier this year. Instead of combining them like I did the first few times, there will be a separate post for each of the preserves I visited. 

My first stop was at the Kirkwood Preserve which is part of the Willistown Conservation Trust that has a number of preserves within close proximity of each other. Two of the preserves and a section of the third I visited this past Saturday are part of the Willistown Conservation Trust. The Kirkwood Preserve is small so it's near impossible to get lost but if you want to bring a trail map, you can get it here. Make sure to bring the map with you if you decide you need one, I didn't see any at the preserve.

Approximate address:

769 Grubbs Mill Rd
Berwyn, PA 19312
39.993675, -75.461779


I started out heading south alongside Grubbs Mill Road and took this shot looking into the preserve a short distance from the parking lot. The trail skirts along the edge of the preserve in this section.



This preserve is mostly open fields with little shade so if you decide to explore it, be sure to bring sunscreen or go on a day when it's cooler outside so you won't end up being baked by the sun. Luckily, this past Saturday was pretty mild for late May.





There are a few trails in the preserve that aren't shown on the trail map, this one is alongside Goshen Road heading east. Although I could have taken it since it loops back to the marked trails, I went as far as the tree in the below picture, then turned back to the marked trail.


Heading in a northeasterly direction towards the inner part of the preserve.


This is one of a few areas where the trails intersect. This view is looking back towards Grubbs Mill Road.



If I had followed the unmarked trail that I mentioned above, this is the area it would have looped around to, this view is looking back to Goshen Road. The fence to the left is what I believe to be a horse farm.




I was surprised to see running water in the middle of the preserve, we haven't had much rain over the last few months. I'm guessing this could be spring fed. 



This is the only hill within the preserve and it wasn't really much of a challenge. 


Looking back towards Goshen Road from the top of the hill. 

Looking down the hill after climbing it




The On Point Farm is a 50 acre farm that was part of a larger Willistown Conservation Trust project that permanently protected 324 acres of land from development. 

 
Chimney Swallow Nest Habitat



I was finally headed for some shade. It wasn't hot outside but I was looking forward to checking out some wooded areas.  By this time, I was at the northeast edge of the preserve.


Rats!! About 20-30 yards into the woods, a no trespassing sign! My curiosity kills me when I see these signs and I wanted to explore the trail further but I turned back. 

 
Looking up the trail back towards the preserve

 
Back into the preserve and looking back at the trail I had just been on
 
Heading northwest along the edge of the preserve

Once again, I found another trail that led into the woods and once again, another sign stating no trespassing. From here, the preserve trail turned to the southwest.


 


This was the best part of the preserve scenery-wise in my opinion. Alongside Crum Creek, there were lots of wildflowers in bloom. 


If you look on the opposite bank, you can see that there's a trail on the other side of the creek. The Kirkwood Preserve is open to equestrian use and this looks to be a horse crossing. The water was shallow enough for me to cross if I wanted to but my feet would have gotten wet as it was deeper than ankle level.







I didn't notice until I was writing this blog but I ended up following another trail in the preserve that isn't marked on the map. The was heading west alongside Crum Creek




The trail then turns to the south alongside a small stream called Massey Run. The stream itself is not shown on the map although the name is listed.


I'm having a hard time identifying this bird. The closest I've come to finding something similar is a  Northern Waterthrush but the colors aren't right. If anyone knows, feel free to let me know! 


Almost back to the parking lot

Looking back on the trail I was just on


As I got to the parking lot, this Robin was nice enough to pose for me. There's supposed to be another trail that runs north alongside Grubbs Mill Road but I didn't see it unless it was on the outside of the fence.

At least I can identify this one!

That was it for my tour of the Kirkwood Preserve. In all, it's a nice place to go for a leisure stroll if you feel like burning an hour or so of your time. If you plan on making it a day trip, bring a lunch with you or make this one of your stops and not the only one. I took my time and was done walking around the preserve in less than an hour. More to follow as this was the first of three preserves I visited for the day. The other two were the Rushton Woods and Okehocking Preserves.

Happy exploring and happy hiking!

Please give my Facebook page a like! 

4 comments:

  1. Just hiked this with two small children, around sunset. Very scenic and practically empty.

    Nice pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ken, and thanks! When I visited the preserve in May, it was pretty quiet then too.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for your info. I look fwd to checking it out soon. Nice photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Photographed beautifully,i love PA!👌

    ReplyDelete